Saturday 31 May 2014

Souvenir Handmade



One of the best things about having a store is being able to choose who you do business with. There’s no nicer and talented girl around than Rikki McDougall,founder and creator of Souvenier. A jewelry line that features,a mix of vintage spoons ,organic material and Rikki’s own nature based illustrations.

What made you start your own business? How did you get started? 
It wasn't ever something I consciously set out to do, it's just something that happened organically. I started making my spoon pendant necklaces for family and friends as gifts. Through word of mouth I started to make sales and it just grew and grew. The next thing I knew I was expanding my line, taking part in local craft sales and soon after that selling in local Winnipeg stores and a few stores in Vancouver as well. 

What’s your favorite piece that you’ve designed?

I love my wheat spoon necklace. Wheat stalks are such a prairie icon, and the necklace goes with pretty much everything!

Where does your inspiration come from? 
My girlfriends mostly. I try and design things that I imagine they would want to wear.I also get really inspired by flea markets or antique stores. It's where I head to if I'm ever feeling stuck for ideas. I love being in amongst piles of forgotten objects- things with a history.I feel really connected to items of the past and enjoy thinking of ways to make them relevant today.
Who are some of your favorite designers?
I have two jewelry designers I love. I am a fan of Erica Weiner. She uses a lot of antique trinkets like old love tokens, and tiny pocket knives. Her jewelry has a sense of humour but still remains cool which I really admire. I also like the dark occult vibe of Pamela Love's jewelry. I would love to own one of her crow skull pendants! 
Whats next for you? 
I have been toying with the idea of taking a silversmithing class. I would love to learn another aspect of jewelry making...I think it could only help take my line further and add a whole other layer to my designs.
What advice would you give to aspiring designers?
My advice would be to create what you really love, and be true to what comes natural to you, while maintaining an openess to new ideas.Listen to what people are asking for...there might be some good ideas in there! Think about how you can put your twist on the trends and make it your own, or better yet-start your own trends.
3 things on your wish list for the holidays are...
For the holidays, I'm asking santa for a great new pair of vintage brown tall boots, an awesome tweed long blazer like the one I saw in Out of the Blue, and....maybe a new muffler for my car! Its starting to sound pretty loud these days! Haha 
Thanks Rikki,hope santa is good to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment